Re: supermajority options

>>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

 Branden> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:15:45PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> Except I have not found the paper to be convincing; I think
 >> that the underlying assumptions are about mechanisms that are far
 >> different from ours, and that this difference is enough to invalidate
 >> the conclusion reached.

 Branden> The mechanism discussed is any balloting method that selects
 Branden> among exclusive alternatives, can produce a winner by
 Branden> numerical count, and has only one vote to a voter.

	Not quite. I think quite a lot of consideration is given to
 the bargaining power of the the voters, where they can change their
 votes for consessions, which is how the us congress and senate work.

 Branden> Does that not apply to Debian's voting mechanism?

	The underlying assumptions for a lot of the statements do not,
 in my opinion, apply to us.

 Branden> consensus
 Branden> n : agreement of the majority in sentiment or belief [syn: {general agreement>

 >> Word games, I see. The common usage, when it comes to making
 >> decisions in debian, has been a term closer to unanimity.

	Not that that term is ``(very) rough consensus''. Pre
 constitution, unanimity was what we had decreed, and supermajorities
 are a step back from unanimity as the project grew.

 Branden> "Word games"?  Since when is 67% or even 75% close to
 Branden> "unanimity"?  In the Debian Project today, the minority is
 Branden> going to be on the order of one-hundred fifty to two hundred
 Branden> people.

	It is not. But it is, in my opinion, (very) rough consensus --
 which is more than 50% +1, as you implied. Look, you know what we
 mean when we try for rough consensus -- you have been part of the
 process long enough.

	Additionally, I'll try and refrain from polemics, if you agree
 to do the same, and work with the opposition view, without dragging
 the channel through nit picks and dictionary definitions.

	So, the gist of my position was that a supermajority of 3:1 is
 a fair measure of a rough consensus, and that we do have issues on
 which a rough consensus is desirable.

 >> I would have defined rough consensus to be about 90% of the
 >> people agreeing.

 Branden> Then why don't we have a 9:1 supermajority requirement
 Branden> anywhere in the Constitution?

	Because the constitution, thank god, is more than my
 opinion. Surely you knew this? ;-)

 	manoj
--
 Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot. Groucho
 Marx