Re: supermajority options

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:15:45PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Except I have not found the paper to be convincing; I think
>  that the underlying assumptions are about mechanisms that are far
>  different from ours, and that this difference is enough to invalidate
>  the conclusion reached.

The mechanism discussed is any balloting method that selects among
exclusive alternatives, can produce a winner by numerical count, and has
only one vote to a voter.

Does that not apply to Debian's voting mechanism?

> 	I suggest people read the paper and reach their own conclusions.

Indeed.

>      1. Consisting of the greatest number or quantity; greater in
>         number or quantity than all the rest; nearly all.
>
> 	I meant the nearly all nuance.
>
>  >> So, supermajorities are, in my opinion, still needed for cases
>  >> where we want a (very) rough consensus, where mere majority ought not
>  >> be the sole criteria for adopting a measure.
>
>  Branden>   consensus
>  Branden>        n : agreement of the majority in sentiment or belief [syn: {general agreement>
>
> 	Word games, I see. The common usage, when it comes to making
>  decisions in debian, has been a term closer to unanimity.

"Word games"?  Since when is 67% or even 75% close to "unanimity"?  In
the Debian Project today, the minority is going to be on the order of
one-hundred fifty to two hundred people.

>  Branden> Hear, hear.  I agree that we should have a rough consensus
>  Branden> before changing such documents.
>
> 	I would have defined rough consensus to be about 90% of the
>  people agreeing.

Then why don't we have a 9:1 supermajority requirement anywhere in the
Constitution?

>  Branden> We just don't need a supermajority to have it.
>
> 	I beg to differ.

I submit that the Constitution doesn't resemble the status quo you claim
to defend.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It's like I have a shotgun in my
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    mouth, I've got my finger on the