Re: voting mechanics draft update

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 12:47:03PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 12:11:30AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > It is not possible for to express a lack of preference among multiple
> > options simultaneously with a preference for any of those multiple
> > options over another option?
>
> It's possible.  Even if the underlying data structures wouldn't
> support it (they do), you could always give everybody two votes,
> so that they could introduce their own ties between their own
> preferences.
>
> Is it a good idea?  I don't have an answer for that.
>
> Should it be included in the constitution?

I think we should.  It may prove to be useful when we have a contentious
General Resolution, for instance, with a bunch of competing versions on
the ballot.  As the number of ballot options increases, the likelihood
increases of a voter being indifferent between one or more, but
preferring either to some hated other set of options.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I have a truly elegant proof of the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    above, but it is too long to fit