Re: voting mechanics draft update

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 06:51:47PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
>   A.6 Vote Counting
>
>     1. Each ballot orders the options being voted on in the order
>        specified by the voter.  If the voter does not rank some options,
>        this means that the voter prefers all ranked options over the
>        unlisted options.  Any options unranked by the voter are treated
>        as being equal to all other unranked options.

Possible FAQ:

It is not possible for to express a lack of preference among multiple
options simultaneously with a preference for any of those multiple
options over another option?

E.g.,

Given Buchanan, Bush, Gore, and Nader, under the Condorcet method a
voter cannot express the following statement.

"I prefer Nader most of all.  I have no preference between Bush and
Gore, but I prefer both to Buchanan."

The voter will have to rank Bush above Gore or vice versa, or abandon
his expression of preference for both over Buchanan.

Is my understanding correct?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I must despise the world which does
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    not know that music is a higher