Re: Request for comments [voting amendment]

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 09:45:08PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> In the case of elections for an office, doesn't this give the incumbent
> an unfair advantage if he is also on the ballot as a candidate?

I think the Constitution allows for offices to be vacant (at least,
it does so for the Project Leader position), and this is in fact the
default if no replacement is elected.  Specifically, a Project Leader
serves for one year, regardless of what difficulties there might be
in electing a successor.

In cases where a large fraction of the developers prefers "none of the
above" to any of the candidates, I think it would be better to leave
the office vacant for nine more weeks than to go to great lengths to
select a "winner" who might do more harm than good.  Historically, we
have had great success with vacant Project Leaders anyway :)

Richard Braakman