Re: Request for comments [voting amendment]

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 03:28:32PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 02:58:28AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Must a supermajority-required option directly defeat the default option
> > by this margin?
>
> Yes, it must. The default option is "further discussion" in most GRs, and
> a "none of the above" that equates to further discussion in DPL elections.
> If the default option wins, we have another vote, where proposers of that
> option can either argue their case better, or realise that they're the
> appropriate majority of developers don't support the opinion at that time.

In the case of elections for an office, doesn't this give the incumbent
an unfair advantage if he is also on the ballot as a candidate?

Or would this only be the case if we had supermajority requirements for
elections?

> In a way, the default option is there specifically so that you can
> vote strategically.

Is that wise?  Susceptibility to strategic voting is generally
considered a flaw.

I'm not objecting to the current proposal or offering any amendments,
just trying to provoke discussion so I can get my head better wrapped
around this voting method.

> Rather than saying "I prefer this option over that one", you're saying
> "I find this option unacceptable". If a majority of developers find an
> option unacceptable; or a "superminority" find it unacceptable in the
> case of consitutional amendments etc, it's entirely appropriate for
> them to be able to be able to say so.
>
> Another alternative might have been to have the default option win if
> it's _ever_ a member of the Scwartz set, rather than if it's a member
> of the Schwartz set after the sequential dropping phases are complete.

That would seem to weight the status quo/default option even more
heavily than the current proposal does.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Communism is just one step on the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     long road from capitalism to