Re: Geez.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 08:32:00PM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> IIRC the adoption of Condorcet voting predates that web site; your
> best bet would be to go through the mailing list archives and find the
> discussions that led to the constitution (which predate my involvement
> in the project, IIRC).

For what it's worth, Debian _doesn't_ use Condorcet voting, it uses
something called "Concorde Vote Counting", which appears to have sprung
fullly-grown from the brain of Ian Jackson :-)

You would have to ask him where it came from.  As far as I can recall,
there was no discussion of the voting system when he proposed the original
draft of the Constitution; it was merely accepted as something that
looked sensible.

> As for the system's complexity, at least from the voter's standpoint,
> if voters are incapable of rank-ordering their own preferences I have
> to wonder how they manage to get along in life... :-)

Debian developers aren't used to having to rank preferences.  Since it's
all free software, they can just install everything they like.

Richard Braakman