Re: CFV: Non-free archive removal

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 04:05:37PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> > This is the same as the old "Who does Debian Admin answer to?" thread.
>
> It seems more like the "I don't want this to happen, so I will be a
> rules lawyer" thread to me.

Well, not that anybody asked me (because they didn't) but as I see it,
everyone should just get back to arguing about what to do and cut the crap
about whom if anyone should be allowed to do it.  In the end this is just
digression from the real questions at hand: do we want to remove non-free,
do we want to leave it as it is, or do we want to more directly define
what is and isn't Debian and leave it at that?

People have complained that a simple majority should not be able to change
the social contract and DFSG but it seems possible to do that now.  So
propose an amendment to the constitution to require a 2/3 or 3/4 majority
or something.

In short, people sometimes want to do things.  Get over it.  If they
shouldn't be done, argue that.  I'm very sick of hearing "you can't do
that because the constitution says only <insert random cabal person> is
allowed.."  Good gods, this is a Linux distribution, not the UN!  We don't
need layers and layers of buearacratic bullshit piled on top of eachother
to cover for real arguments based on the merits or lack of same in a
proposal.

<Mercury> <CJ|BiZKiT-0-> i can upload to linux server tho
<Mercury> <CJ|BiZKiT-0-> i got a shell account on one
<Mercury> <Mercury> Whats it running?
<Mercury> <CJ|BiZKiT-0-> umm
<Mercury> <CJ|BiZKiT-0-> apache i think
<Mercury> Help, please help..