Re: Markup in mail messages

On 15/05/2024 03:17, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 15/05/2024 02:32, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 08:16:20PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
Messages in Markdown in the Windows world? I have never seen it.
[...]
The only sensible interpretation I can
come up with for why these asterisks were added is that they're being
placed around text that's supposed to be emphasized/italicized.

*Bold*, /italics/, and _underlined_ markup is supported by various
mailers, e.g. Thunderbird and Gnus. Some render superscripts^1 and
subscripts_2 as well.

Backticks (`echo $PATH`) are more specific to markdown. However
sometimes I use them not expecting that the message will be rendered as
markdown. Just to avoid ambiguity where a piece of code starts and ends.

When this sort of subject comes up (as it does, every so often), I wonder why `text/markdown` isn't offered as a mime type for sending emails. If you're an MUA and you're going to parse text/plain for markup, then why not offer text/markdown as the body of the message? I know that there have been various attempts to bridge the gap between "text/plain is too basic" and "text/html is too powerful" such as text/enriched and text/rtf, but Markdown seems to be hitting a sweet spot of being easy to write and being widely adopted elsewhere.