Re: Dovecot correct ownership for logs

"Top posting" (writing the answer above the text that's being replied to) is literally industry standard behavior.

Also, I don't think you've really cleared out any confusion. Now, how exactly can dovecot log to /var/log/dovecot/ without (postfix) throwing errors? Because it clearly is for 2 out of 3 files as visible from the file sizes in my original post. Only the debug file is empty, but maybe nothing relevant enough has been found yet. There are entries from master, imap, imap-login, managesieve-login, anvil and various other processes in info and error. But the error messages from postfix still appear, also seemingly at least vastly slowing down emails being delivered to the users, if not bringing that to a complete halt. Only after commenting out these locations in 10-logging.conf the mails show up for the users.

Am Di., 14. Mai 2024 um 14:54 Uhr schrieb Henning Follmann <hfollmann@itcfollmann.com>:
On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 01:58:07PM +0200, Richard wrote:

Please don't top post! It is a pain to follow a thread if you do.

> Am Di., 14. Mai 2024 um 13:45 Uhr schrieb Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org>:
>
> > On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 07:36:17PM +0800, jeremy ardley wrote:
> > > Postfix is chrooted (usuallly) to /var/spool/postfix
> >
> > If this is true, then how would a local delivery agent work?  It needs
> > write access to all users' inboxes, which are either in /var/mail or in
> > users' home directories.

Usually the local delivery is done by a local agent (procmail, dovecot's
lmtp daemon). These do not run chrooted.

> > I could imagine the Postfix SMTP sending/receiving and queue processing
> > programs being chrooted, but the LDA probably isn't.  Or at least not
> > chrooted to /var/spool/postfix.

[fixed top posting]
> For us the situation is even a bit stranger. The inboxes are located in
> neither location, but in /maildirs/username/ (no idea why it was set up
> that way, but it's a dedicated mail server where the user's don't have
> their own home directory). /var/mail is empty.

This is a common dovecot setup.
lmtp provides a unix socket into postfix chroot environment. This process
usually runs as postfix user so the socket is owned by postfix. But it uses
the dovecot logging configuration.
Having the maildirs in a dedicated directory makes it easy to have a
dedicated drive just for the mailboxes. This makes adapting to growth much
simpler.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com