Re: Graphic Equalizer for Sound

Richmond wrote:
> Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> writes:
>
> > Richmond wrote:
> > Let's put in a broad bell that will cover bass and low treble
> > voices: tap the first gear icon on top of a slider. By default,
> > all these bands are configurable and set to no change, so we're
> > going to co-opt the first one.
> >
> > The controls you now see should be Type, Mode and Slope. Set
> > Type to Bell, ignore Mode and Slope for now.
> >
> > Underneath are Frequency and Quality, with a display in between
> > telling you the width of that combination. Let's select a center
> > frequency of 200Hz, with a Q of 1.25. The width should say about
> > 160Hz, which will affect 40 to 360Hz (200 +/- 160). Click the
> > gear icon again, and then adjust the slider up about 6 dB.
>
> OK I did this. But over on the right there is still 194hz and 241hz
> which cover the same range.

That's a leftover thought from graphic equalizers, where each
slider has a fixed center frequency, a fixed shape, and a fixed
width. This is a parametric equalizer.

It starts out displaying 20 or so sliders all of which are set
to zero. Setting them to zero means they don't affect anything.

We then changed the frequency center of the first slider, setting it
to 200Hz.  On a graphic EQ, that's like grabbing the nearest fixed slider
and forcing it to adjust the frequency you actually want.

> Also the user interface appears to get stuck so the dialog won't go
> away.

Try clicking outside it.

> I can't hear lower voices still, maybe PC speakers won't play them anyway.

The spectral display above will show you what frequencies are being
produced -- that's post-effects, so any changes you introduce with the
equalizer will be shown.

Try plugging in headphones?

-dsr-