Re: Graphic Equalizer for Sound

Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>> Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> writes:
>>
>> > Parametric EQs are not the same as graphic EQs, but they are
>> > reasonably easy to understand and offer much more control.
>> >
>> > Suppose you want to boost all the bass below 50Hz. The
>> > parametric type you want is a "shelf", the frequency is 50Hz,
>> > the Q doesn't matter (because it's a shelf) and the volume
>> > change is whatever you want -- +3dB is a safe number to produce
>> > an audible effect without being overwhelming.
>> >

>> What I want to do is make it easier to hear the lower voices in choral
>> music, or even better, hear only the lower voices, i.e. eliminate the
>> upper voices. Perhaps a 'shelf' would do that, but I cannot find
>> anything called 'shelf' in the user interface. I am bewildered.
>
> Human voices tend to be 80-8000Hz
>
> On the left hand side top, there's a Presets drop-down. Create a
> new Output preset by typing in a name and tapping the + button.
>
> At the bottom center, click on Effects.
>
> On the left, you will have a list of effects. Select Equalizer.

OK I got the equalizer. Unfortunately installing the software again has
broken bluetooth speakers again, but I can still hear through the PC
speakers...

> Let's put in a broad bell that will cover bass and low treble
> voices: tap the first gear icon on top of a slider. By default,
> all these bands are configurable and set to no change, so we're
> going to co-opt the first one.
>
> The controls you now see should be Type, Mode and Slope. Set
> Type to Bell, ignore Mode and Slope for now.
>
> Underneath are Frequency and Quality, with a display in between
> telling you the width of that combination. Let's select a center
> frequency of 200Hz, with a Q of 1.25. The width should say about
> 160Hz, which will affect 40 to 360Hz (200 +/- 160). Click the
> gear icon again, and then adjust the slider up about 6 dB.

OK I did this. But over on the right there is still 194hz and 241hz
which cover the same range.

Also the user interface appears to get stuck so the dialog won't go
away.

I can't hear lower voices still, maybe PC speakers won't play them anyway.