Re: Graphic Equalizer for Sound

Richmond wrote:
> Is it possible to have a graphic equalizer for sound output? I am using
> the Mate desktop. I installed EasyEffects from a flatpak and it appears
> on the menu but does nothing. I don't know the command line. Probably
> there is an error.

I don't know anything about why a flatpak would work or not.

You can apt install easyeffects ; it requires PipeWire. Running
it should produce a window full of available effects for both
input and output including a parametric equalizer.

Parametric EQs are not the same as graphic EQs, but they are
reasonably easy to understand and offer much more control.

Suppose you want to boost all the bass below 50Hz. The
parametric type you want is a "shelf", the frequency is 50Hz,
the Q doesn't matter (because it's a shelf) and the volume
change is whatever you want -- +3dB is a safe number to produce
an audible effect without being overwhelming.

If you have a room with one length being 4m, it might have a
resonance at 86Hz. To dial that down, you would select a bell
shaped parameter, centered at 86Hz, and play with the Q until
the range is 83-89Hz. Then reduce it by 3 or 6 dB and listen.

Does that help?

-dsr-