Re: Bookworm: NetworkManager

On 10/22/23 04:02, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 22/10/2023 00:24, Greg Wooledge wrote:
If you're asking us to tell you how to *make NetWorkManager behave* then you might be frustrated. Most of the people on this mailing list don't use it. There are some who actively despise it, and go out of their way to ensure it's never installed.

I just have tried with

/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/90-disable-resovl.conf

[main]
dns=none

in a VM and it just works. I edited /etc/resolv.conf and NetworkManager does not override it. I have no idea what is wrong in Pocket's case, perhaps a typo or another config file with higher priority. I would check

What version of NetworkManager is installed with bullseye?

Maybe a newer version is broken?

    NetworkManager --print-config

Didn't show me anything unexpected.

This particular instance was installed as bullseye in minimal configuration. NetworkManager was added later and enp0s2 originally was managed by ifupdown. I edited /etc/network/interfaces to allow NetworkManager to take control of it. Later it was upgraded to bookworm.

Overriding DNS servers for each connection is another viable approach.

I admit that NetworkManager has issues and limitations, its GUI applets have even more bugs and expose quite limited set of preferences, but this tool still works in simple cases and convenient in the case of laptops.

P.S. I do not see any reason to insist on NetworkManager in the case of a box which role is a DNS server for a local network. ifupdown should be sufficient. There is no need to detect cable plug/unplug events, to switch between connection configurations depending on current location or other circumstances.

I would normally not use NetworkManager on a server system either, but in this case NetworkManager is installed on all the bookworm installation so in this case I choose to work with it instead of removing it.

--
It's not easy to be me