Re: Bookworm: NetworkManager

Hello,

On Sun, Oct 22, 2023 at 08:22:24AM -0400, Pocket wrote:
> On 10/22/23 04:02, Max Nikulin wrote:
> > P.S. I do not see any reason to insist on NetworkManager in the case of
> > a box which role is a DNS server for a local network. ifupdown should be
> > sufficient. There is no need to detect cable plug/unplug events, to
> > switch between connection configurations depending on current location
> > or other circumstances.
>
> I would normally not use NetworkManager on a server system either, but in
> this case NetworkManager is installed on all the bookworm installation so in
> this case I choose to work with it instead of removing it.

That's a reasonable choice but it is a choice you've made.
NetworkManager isn't any sort of default on Debian; it's a
dependency pulled in by something in your install script, so it's
just another choice you've made even if not explicitly.

There is no compelling reason why you should stick with
NetworkManager unless you want to or it's a hard dependency of
something else. If not then it would be fine to remove it and
achieve the same configuration in a simpler way with ifupdown,
netplan or systemd-networkd directly. A lot of people would consider
that a simpler and therefore more desirable setup if NetworkManager
was not otherwise required.

I realise that all this has been pointed out already in this thread,
but again here you've stated that NetworkManager is some sort of
default for Debian and that the implication as such is that it
should be worked with rather than removed. One is by no means
straying from the "main sequence" of Debian by removing
NetworkManager where no dependency exists.

I'm glad you have worked with it though, in order to find a solution
for the problem you were having, and communicated that with us.

Thanks,
Andy