Re: gdm3 issue

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 11:25 -0500, PaulNM wrote:
>>>
>>> The "single" kernel cmdline option would never launch GDM.
>>
>> I believe that was his point, and the reason for the smiley ;).
>> Most would say preventing something from happening is a form of
>> affecting it.
>
> Correct, that's why I was thinking about GRUB2, when the OP mentioned
> that an Ubuntu kernel was removed, before the issue appeared. I don't
> know how the auto-thingy is set up, what options will be add and how
> they affect or don't affect a Debian install. "single" for sure would
> get a name such as "Single" or "Recovery" for the menu entry, but there
> are or sure other options that could prevent GDM from running.

1) grub-mkconfig won't change the kernel cmdline options, unless
"/etc/default/grub" has been edited.

2) If grub's controlled from within Ubuntu (as it seems to be), the
Debian entries will be option-less if there's no grub.cfg on the
Debian install or with the options in "/etc/default/grub" within the
Debian install if there's a grub.cfg on the Debian install.

3) This isn't about GDM being prevented from running; it's about GDM
failing after being launched.

4) What kernel option is there that:

a) If it's added to the kernel cmdline, GDM crashes. But if it's
removed from the kernel cmdline, GDM starts normally.

Or

b) If it's added to the kernel cmdline, GDM starts normally. But if
it's removed from the kernel cmdline, GDM crashes.