Re: Backported Kernel - install question

Hi.

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 21:33:45 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 21:32 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > I experienced that synaptic for *buntu Saucy is broken, perhaps it's for
> > Debian broken too. Sometimes nothing is inconsistent, but Synaptic
> > claims that a dependency should be broken. After closing and opening
> > Synaptic everything is ok.
>
> If apt-get does work, than a not buggy Synaptic must work too ;).

apt, aptitude and synaptic handle package install conflicts differently.

These tools do the same in trivial situations like installing or
removing package from the main archive.

But, put a number of packages with the same name and different versions
(add versioned dependencies to the picture) - and these 3 tools start
behaving differently. Add the fact that any package in backports
archive has special version that is _lower_ that any version in main
archive - and sometimes these tools may produce funny results.

Basically, apt provides you with the most dumb solution possible
(works most of the time) - install what you want, upgrade dependencies.

Aptitude gives you multiple ways of installing package (and one has to
choose carefully) - install what you want, upgrade/downgrade
dependencies (and may remove something just for fun :).

Synaptic assumes that you are not lazy, and will use Ctrl+E (IIRC, may
be wrong) to force particular versions for needed packages.

So, it's possible to use Synaptic for the task, it just will violate
the great IBM principle - 'People should think, machine should work'.

Reco