Re: Hardware Question about RAM and Capacitors

On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 15:45 -0500, Doug wrote:
> On 12/12/2013 02:11 PM, Goren Buckwalk wrote:
> > [snip] rusty looking coating on the top.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Are three rusty capacitors and 3 bad slots just a coincidence? Thanks.
> >

> As a subscriber to various electronics lists, I can tell you that the
> first thing you will be told, when repairing modern electronic equipment, is
> to look for bad caps and replace them. So I wouldn't even think twice
> about it! Replace the capacitors! But if you've never worked on a printed
> circuit board before, I strongly suggest that you find someone who has
> to do it for you! Motherboards are multi-layer, and you have to be careful
> not to damage it.

A agree regarding to the multi-layer, I only half agree regarding to
replacing the capacitors. Could you post a link to a photo? "rusty
looking" could be flux, it not implicitly has to be a broken capacitor.
We unlikely will be able to spot it by a photo, but you never know.
However, if you have to ask, than don't unsolder them on your own ;).