Re: script line not working as its supposed to, but why?

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:09:18 +0100
"Gian Uberto Lauri" <saint@eng.it>  wrote:

> Sharon Kimble writes:
>  > I have this line in a bash script that is not doing what its
>  > supposed to -
>  > 'find /home/boudiccas/.fluxbox -type f -mtime +"$num" -name
>  > 'menu-*' -delete'
>  > where "$num" = 7 and 'menu-*'=menu-20131209-11:05 . Obviously the
>  > date and time can be different in each case, so how do I get it so
>  > that it deletes the menus if their number is greater than 7
>  > please? All the rest of the script works as expected, except for
>  > this one line!
>
> Excuse me Sharon, I am not a native English speaker and I think my
> English skills are not up to the task to fully understand your
> message.
>
> You want to delete file modified more than 7 days ago (-mtime) or if
> you have more of 7 of them?
>
> And what goes wrong with the command execution?

Thanks for replying.

I want to delete the 'menu-*' files if there are more than 7, and the
command is parsed when I have 'set -x' at the head of the script but
this line does nothing! It runs but doesn't achieve anything.

Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.3.2
Registered Linux user 561944