log on to Cinnamon failed

Yesterday I installed 'Cinnamon' to have a play with, and I remember
that cinnamon itself and another cinnamon-type programmes both came
from sid, the rest required from jessie. Later in the day I found time
to log on to it and was greeted with this message 'Oh no! Something has
gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.
Please log out and try again.'

Now that is so vague and unhelpful its not really worth its space, so,
can anybody make any suggestions as to things to try to enable a
successful log on please?

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.3.2
Registered Linux user 561944