Re: Debianly Correct place to add ~/bin to $PATH ? sorry for not responding sooner

On 20131209_181204, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 04:14:19PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > On 20131209_134124, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> > I don't know if xfce has any impact on the
> > > execution of ~/.profile at login. Have you tried to run your scripts
> > > or looking at the output of export from a text console like tty1?
> >
> > The scripts run fine when invoked with a fully qualified name starting
> > with / or when I have manually modified $PATH to include $HOME/bin:
>
> That doesn't answer my question. If you login from a text console, and
> ~/bin appears in your path, then we would know that bash is sourcing
> ~/.profile correctly. This would tell us that whatever problem you're
> having, it has to do with how the GUI is sourcing ~/.profile, and not
> anything with ~/.profile itself. Andri's reply seems to in fact
> indicate that ~/.profile is sourced by xorg when logging in from the
> GUI, whereas it gets sourced by bash when you login from a text
> console. So, my question still stands.

Yes. I should have responded, and I apologize.

The login was done with a graphical display manager. Which one
exactly, I'm not sure.  Per your analysis, I think I must not
have done exactly what I think I did. And things have changed, so
what was there then is no longer there now.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net