Re: Debianly Correct place to add ~/bin to $PATH ?

On 20131209_134124, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 12:15:53PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > I've just done a fresh netinst of Wheezy and want to proceed with my
> > personal configuring in a way that is not fighting with the Debian
> > view of how things should be done. I've used Debian since Potato, I
> > think, but have always hacked things until they seemed to be
> > working. Now, I want to try to do things in the way the developers had
> > in mind when they built the install CD images.
> >
> > I see the file ~/.profile . It contains code that tests for the
> > existence of ~/bin/ and adds it to $PATH , if it exists.  But it
> > doesn't 'work'. After I have created my ~/bin/.  and filled it with
> > some scripts, and rebooted, there is still no mention of ~/bin/ in
> > $PATH . Why? When does ~/.profile actually get invoked? Is there some
> > part of the boot process that must be configured in order to invoke
> > it? I used the CD that installs Xfce for i386 on an older HP
> > tower. Not sure what further details are necessary to diagnose
> > this. Please ask specific questions if I have left something needed
> > out.
>
> You've probably looked at the obvious, but let's make sure. You don't
> have a ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login per the comments in
> ~/.profile? Your scripts in ~/bin are executable (chmod 700)? You said

Yes to your 'probably ...', I've looked. None of the mentioned files exist
in the obvious places. And the code in ~/.profile only checks for the
existence of the directory, and not for anything about its contents. But
some of the files ARE executable and some, that I intend only to source,
are not executable.

> you rebooted, so that should be fine. BTW, a logout/log back in should
> be enough here.

I considered logout/log back, but because I have never really traced thru
the complete boot-up process beginning to end, full reboot was better. If
it had worked, it might have been interesting to discover the precise step
in which it happened.

I don't know if xfce has any impact on the
> execution of ~/.profile at login. Have you tried to run your scripts
> or looking at the output of export from a text console like tty1?

The scripts run fine when invoked with a fully qualified name starting
with / or when I have manually modified $PATH to include $HOME/bin:

If
> your scripts run from there, and the path variable shows up, then this
> is something with how ~/.profile and xfce interact.
                                       ^^^^
That's a wild suggestion. Any ideas as to how to test it?

If that's the
> case, someone else will have to help you. That's all I can think
> of. Maybe someone else will have other ideas.
>
> Greg

Thanks for responding. You make me feel less foolish for asking. ;)
Someone else, any ideas?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net