Re: Debianly Correct place to add ~/bin to $PATH ?

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 12:15:53PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I've just done a fresh netinst of Wheezy and want to proceed with my
> personal configuring in a way that is not fighting with the Debian
> view of how things should be done. I've used Debian since Potato, I
> think, but have always hacked things until they seemed to be
> working. Now, I want to try to do things in the way the developers had
> in mind when they built the install CD images.
>
> I see the file ~/.profile . It contains code that tests for the
> existence of ~/bin/ and adds it to $PATH , if it exists.  But it
> doesn't 'work'. After I have created my ~/bin/.  and filled it with
> some scripts, and rebooted, there is still no mention of ~/bin/ in
> $PATH . Why? When does ~/.profile actually get invoked? Is there some
> part of the boot process that must be configured in order to invoke
> it? I used the CD that installs Xfce for i386 on an older HP
> tower. Not sure what further details are necessary to diagnose
> this. Please ask specific questions if I have left something needed
> out.

You've probably looked at the obvious, but let's make sure. You don't
have a ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login per the comments in
~/.profile? Your scripts in ~/bin are executable (chmod 700)? You said
you rebooted, so that should be fine. BTW, a logout/log back in should
be enough here. I don't know if xfce has any impact on the
execution of ~/.profile at login. Have you tried to run your scripts
or looking at the output of export from a text console like tty1? If
your scripts run from there, and the path variable shows up, then this
is something with how ~/.profile and xfce interact. If that's the
case, someone else will have to help you. That's all I can think
of. Maybe someone else will have other ideas.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc