Debianly Correct place to add ~/bin to $PATH ?

I've just done a fresh netinst of Wheezy and want to proceed with my
personal configuring in a way that is not fighting with the Debian
view of how things should be done. I've used Debian since Potato, I
think, but have always hacked things until they seemed to be
working. Now, I want to try to do things in the way the developers had
in mind when they built the install CD images.

I see the file ~/.profile . It contains code that tests for the
existence of ~/bin/ and adds it to $PATH , if it exists.  But it
doesn't 'work'. After I have created my ~/bin/.  and filled it with
some scripts, and rebooted, there is still no mention of ~/bin/ in
$PATH . Why? When does ~/.profile actually get invoked? Is there some
part of the boot process that must be configured in order to invoke
it? I used the CD that installs Xfce for i386 on an older HP
tower. Not sure what further details are necessary to diagnose
this. Please ask specific questions if I have left something needed
out.

as always, Thanks and
Cheers
--