custom xterm bitmap font (almost) double spaced ??

OK, I removed the no-bitmaps.conf x11 symlink and restarted X.

Now eg
xterm -fn 6x10 -fa ""
works as advertised to give me normal xterm bitmap font.

However, my custom xterm bitmap font, which I access by:
xterm -fa Zen
produces an xterm with my custom font, but a very/extra- large spacing
above each line.

Any custom or bitmap font gurus or xterm font junkies who might know
what is now wrong?

(I guess there could be some font parameter which was previously being
ignored, but is now being honored? dunno myself).

TIA
Zenaan