Shutting down lessens computer life............

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 15:27:15 +0100 Gian Uberto Lauri sent:

> I know that shutting down the machine saves electricity, but heating
> and cooling is the mechanical stress that hits the non-moving
> components of your computer, computer that turn off less often live
> longer.

I wonder if the above is right? I've seen it written somewhere
before? Maybe it only applies for desktops?

I have old two laptops, one used as a desktop for 7 years, and the other
the same for 6 years and 1 year as casual mobile use. Being on solar
power, switch the laptops on and off several, no, many times a day.

Both these are switched off sometimes after only 15 minutes powered up,
depending on the charge in the solar batteries. But mostly on for at
least 8 hours in 24, but switched on and off no less than 6 times
during that period.

7 years is not a long life for a laptop, I have heard of others that
are still working after 10 years on this list I think. They keyboards
on my laptops are pretty worn and they each only have 512 MB RAM but
otherwise work as when new but now running Debian Jessie. They are since
a couple of weeks now, just for casual use.

But this new laptop used as a desktop is also switched on and off many
times a day or night. I suppose it doesn't matter if the machines do
degrade more quickly if turned on and off often. I have no choice in
the matter. But it would be interesting to know just the same.

Charlie
    --
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Some things have to be believed to be seen. --- Ralph Hodgeson