Re: Debianly Correct place to add ~/bin to $PATH ?

On 12/10/13, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
..
> Now, I want to try to do things in the way the developers had
> in mind when they built the install CD images.
>
> I see the file ~/.profile . It contains code that tests for the
> existence of ~/bin/ and adds it to $PATH , if it exists.  But it
> doesn't 'work'. After I have created my ~/bin/.  and filled it with
> some scripts, and rebooted, there is still no mention of ~/bin/ in
> $PATH .

Here is where you might provide more information about how you're
logging in, to properly debug your problem. Yes it sounds like
something is not quite right.

There are different ways to log in:
a) linux console
b) remote ssh login
c) graphical desktop login, then some ?term terminal

A general principal of debugging (whether networking, shell
environment, etc) is to start with the lowest technical level, and
work up from there, to eliminate the lowest level of possible problems
first, to avoid excess wandering fruitless journeys.

So, if you have a ?DM graphical login manager installed by default,
first start testing by reboot, then Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a plain
("low level"), linux console, and log in there.

Then of course echo $PATH, and tell us what you get.

Let's get your linux console login environment sorted first (if you
are willing), then we can work on a graphical login environment
problem.