Re: Automatic installs

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Mark a few of the top level ones and then run autoremove, answer 'n'o.
> > Then pick another top level package and mark it.  Then run autoremove
> > again and answer 'n'o again.  Repeat until you have marked to keep all
> > of the packages that you want to keep.
>
> As root running a command that could remove packages, just to monitor
> something, is bad practice. Soon or later it will result in "Oops,
> accidentally removed".

Note that the OP had already successfully performed this very command
several times already.

If root can't perform safe operations like this then perhaps they
should take up basket weaving.  No reason to continue to put this type
of stress upon them.  It isn't good for the health.  I recommend fresh
air and exercise.

> "-s, --simulate, --just-print, --dry-run, --recon, --no-act
> No action. Perform a simulation of events that would occur but do not
> actually change the system." - http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get

Isn't needing something like -s too dangerous?  What if you forgot to
include it on the command line?  Wouldn't that be just as scary? :-)

But the reason I don't use -s there is that the list of packages if
they are very long turn into a *very* long list of packages.  I find
that inconvenient.  The word wrapped paragraph listing is more
compact.  The result is the same for me.  YMMV.

However if I were going to scrape the output for some automation then
including the -s is convenient because the result is more machine
readable.

Bob