Re: Automatic installs

Brad Alexander wrote:
> Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed
> and are no longer required:
>   akonadiconsole akregator amor ark avogadro-data blinken blogilo bomber
> bovo
>   cantor cervisia crda cvs cvsservice dnsmasq-base dragonplayer easy-rsa
> gnugo
>  ...snip...
>   step svgpart sweeper texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-base-doc
>   translate-toolkit umbrello usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data valgrind
>   valgrind-dbg vpnc wireless-regdb wpasupplicant
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.

Did you install these with KDE and then along the way remove the kde
meta package?

> I am deathly afraid to apt-get autoremove, because I see a lot of things in
> there that I use, such as akregator, gwenview, kwalletmanager,

Then in that case mark them as being something you want to keep
around.  The easy way is simply to fire the install command on them.

  apt-get install akregator gwenview kwalletmanager ...

That will say that they are up to date and then also say that it is
marking them as manually installed.

There is also the 'apt-mark manual foo' command to mark foo as
manually installed too.  Either way is fine.  For this apt-get install
is one less thing to remember.

> So is this for real, and if I apt-get autoremove, it will gut my
> system, or am I missing some detail and it's all good?

As currently known if you run apt-get autoeremove it will remove those
packages.  But if you are using those packages then don't do that. :-)
Instead simply mark them as being manually installed.

Mark a few of the top level ones and then run autoremove, answer 'n'o.
Then pick another top level package and mark it.  Then run autoremove
again and answer 'n'o again.  Repeat until you have marked to keep all
of the packages that you want to keep.  Almost certainly along the way
you will find some package that you don't want and will decide to let
it go.  The automatically installed list is just a helper to help you
maintain your system.  But it is a simple thing and doesn't know about
all cases such as the removal of a kde meta package.  You are
certainly encouraged to use judgement and drive it the way you want.

Bob