new radeon R7770 wont give double monitor with wheezy. stuck using proprietary drivers how to get nice font console on bootup?

Hi,

I have used nvidia cards before. I decided to try radeon because reputed better support :(

I tried the radeon driver.
in X got only duplicate copies of the same screen on both monitors.
xrandr only reported a single Screen stanza.

However what is nice is that with radeon during boot up to console mode before starting startx
I get nice small fonts similar to framebuffer on bootup into old nvidia using nouveau module.

thus with the radeon driver
using the stock 3.2.0-4 kernel
only get duplicate data on my two monitors
which is awful, also very slow glxgears, and nice framebuffer on console

so now using the fglrx  module

I get nice hardware acceleration
ie glxgears goes 40x faster than on radeon driver

i get nice dual monitor setup using expanded virtual screen  and using xrandr to place the two screen stanzas DFP5 and  DFP7

however when I do alt-ctl F2 i have really ugly console with ugly fonts
because the radeon driver is banned.
what to do to get a nice console framebuffer on the tty's???

thanks
mitchell