Re: X-posting alert: Multiple songs playing simultaneously (Amarok)

On 12/29/2012 10:21 AM, AG wrote:
On 28/12/12 15:31, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 02:11:14PM +0000, AG wrote:
I may be stepping all over some or other netiquette, for which I
apologise.

I don't see how; your message to this list wasn't cross-posted

That's OK then.

I thought that the Debian user community might want to be aware of
the response from one of the Amarok team I received when asking
about a problem I had with Amarok in Squeeze playing two (or more)
tracks simultaneously.

Why?

Simply because the Amarok folk (or Myriam anyway) (a) advocates dropping
Debian in favour of a derived distro with a faster release cycle and (b)
expects people to update their system to match Amarok releases, when the
software is buggy in a past release. As I replied in my original post -
that's like the tail wagging the dog.

Sorry, after spending 5 years in a software support position for IBM, I have to agree with Amarok. It is very expensive to keep debugging problems which have already been fixed. New versions come out, and after a period of time, the older version is not supported. It's like that with every company.

Yes, Debian is slow in updating the software. Many of us appreciate that fact. I, for one, don't have time to keep updating systems as fast as some distros come out with updates (and my customers don't like to pay for unnecessary updates to stable systems).

Of course, there are other solutions. You don't HAVE to stick with the Debian version. You could install the product separately, or even create a .deb file for the newer version (and even submit it for consideration for an update).

I just don't think that Myriam's response was at all helpful - and
say as much - and for her to propose that I change my distro in
order to match Amarok's release cycles is quite absurd.

Her response was pretty good compared to some other responses I've seen
regarding bugs in old (as far as the developers are concerned) software.
Usually, its something like: Upgrade to latest version from cvs and see
if bug is still present.

Well, that's hardly a justification or an excuse, especially if
developers give a hoot about their user base.

I'm sure they care about their user base. However, that doesn't mean they need to maintain software forever. The problem with Debian not updating fast enough is not THEIR problem. But you're blaming them.

Sometimes you just get a rude remark when they realise you aren't
running the latest version.

Again, which begs the question. Yes, of course new releases fix older
bugs, but to just dismiss an older version that was released as okay at
the time by blithely suggesting that one upgrades misses the point.

Are you willing to pay for their time to debug the problem and see if it's fixed in a newer release? If so, I'm sure they would be willing to work with you.

Anyway ... I don't mean to start any flaming, but just wanted to
know - am I over-reacting to this post from Myriam?

Yes.

Fair enough. Anyway, I'm now using Clementine which is everything I
would expect from what Amarok used to be - reliable and fit for purpose.

I also agree, you are over-reacting.