Re: X-posting alert: Multiple songs playing simultaneously (Amarok)

On 28/12/12 15:31, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 02:11:14PM +0000, AG wrote:
I may be stepping all over some or other netiquette, for which I apologise.

I don't see how; your message to this list wasn't cross-posted

That's OK then.

I thought that the Debian user community might want to be aware of
the response from one of the Amarok team I received when asking
about a problem I had with Amarok in Squeeze playing two (or more)
tracks simultaneously.

Why?

Simply because the Amarok folk (or Myriam anyway) (a) advocates dropping Debian in favour of a derived distro with a faster release cycle and (b) expects people to update their system to match Amarok releases, when the software is buggy in a past release. As I replied in my original post - that's like the tail wagging the dog.

I just don't think that Myriam's response was at all helpful - and
say as much - and for her to propose that I change my distro in
order to match Amarok's release cycles is quite absurd.

Her response was pretty good compared to some other responses I've seen
regarding bugs in old (as far as the developers are concerned) software.
Usually, its something like: Upgrade to latest version from cvs and see
if bug is still present.

Well, that's hardly a justification or an excuse, especially if developers give a hoot about their user base.

Sometimes you just get a rude remark when they realise you aren't
running the latest version.

Again, which begs the question. Yes, of course new releases fix older bugs, but to just dismiss an older version that was released as okay at the time by blithely suggesting that one upgrades misses the point.

Anyway ... I don't mean to start any flaming, but just wanted to
know - am I over-reacting to this post from Myriam?

Yes.

Fair enough. Anyway, I'm now using Clementine which is everything I would expect from what Amarok used to be - reliable and fit for purpose.

[Snipped actual post details]
Please just post the url to the actual message, although eight minutes
is probably too short for it to appear in their archives.