Subject: Re: Multiple songs playing simultaneously
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:02:58 +0000
From: AG <computing.account@googlemail.com>
To: Myriam Schweingruber <myriam@kde.org>

On 17/12/12 08:36, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
Hi AG,

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM, AG<computing.account@googlemail.com>  wrote:
Hello

On a standard GNU/ Linux Debian squeeze 32-bit distribution:

I am running Amarok (Version 2.3.1 Using KDE 4.4.3 (KDE 4.4.3)). AFAIK, all
libraries are up-to-date.

And that is where the problem lies: Debian stable ships a completely
outdated and unsupported version of Amarok. The current stable version
we support is 2.6, please upgrade your system.

While it makes sense to use Debian stable for a server installation it
is really not the best of a choice for the desktop, Debian Wheezy or a
spin-off of Debian with a faster release cycle like Kubuntu or Mint
are better suited for the end user.

Regards, Myriam

Hi Myriam

This isn't very helpful I'm afraid. Telling me to upgrade my system just
to get a package working is like telling someone to renovate their
kitchen to house a newer version of a kettle that just stopped working.
It is not even a solution - why should the tail of Amarok wag the dog of
one's system version?

It is also quite disingenuous of you to propose that because Amarok no
longer supports a previous version that that is the reason the software
is buggy. Perhaps the development team could look at resolving some of
these bugs related to Phonon backends (or whatever the issue is) rather
than to simply instruct everyone to ignore the problems in their
software by means of a *system* upgrade!! That is an ostrich approach to
development if ever I heard one.

Just not helpful at all, and I will be choosing an alternative player
from now on, thank you. Which is too bad, because I liked Amarok and it
served me well for many years and I contributed financially to its
support on several occasions. But this "help" you offer Myriam is, in
plain English, a nonsense.

AG

AG