Re: Installing a backported kernel on Squeeze at an early stage.

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 29 December 2012 14:30:02 Tom H wrote:
>>
>> Did you mount it? :)
>>
>> Was the filesystem fat or ext2?
>
> I couldn't find the kernel module to download it in the first place!!  Just
> vast numbers of hits telling me that I needed a newer kernel.  Since I
> already knew that, it didn't help much. :-(

Oh. I thought that you meant that you had a flash drive but couldn't
insmod from it. Sorry.

If the 6.0 repos have it, you can search for it with apt-file.

If the 6.0 repos don't have it, you can set up non-standard
sources.list and cache locations for 7.0 (so as not to overwrite the
6.0 files) and search for it.

Once you find it, you can download the deb ("apt-get download ..."),
specifying the sources.list and cache locations used for 7.0 if that's
where it is. Then "ar x <deb>" (you'll need "binutils" for "ar") and
cp the file out of "./lib/modules/...".

For the download, I'd suggest creating and cd'ing to a temporary
directory that you'd delete once you copy the file that you need out
of it.

(You could download the source of that package and untar it, etc, but
the deb's simpler for something like this.)