Re: [OT?] Free Software petition on WhiteHouse.gov

On 12/27/2012 12:53 PM, Max Hyre wrote:
> On 12/26/2012 09:03 AM, John Hasler wrote:
>> Max Hyre writes:
>>> Too bad signing requires registration with personal info.
>>
>> "Personal info"?  Email, name, and zip code?  You're being silly.
>
>    Minor attribution note:  It's Worrier Poet who worries about ID.
>  I have no problem with it because, as someone mentioned earlier, it
> _is_ a signature (of sorts) on a petition to the gov't.

Unless I'm missing something here regarding this attribution note, it's
not me who was worried about ID or about signing petitions online. Other
people were concerned about it. I just pointed out that the type of
information requested by the whitehouse.gov site is available -- unless
one is using an alias and connecting and sending mail through a VPN
connection -- via brief inspection of e-mail headers on postings in this
list. As a matter of fact, a brief examination of IP addresses in the
header can often pin a poster's location down a lot closer than the zip
code.

I was also pointing out that people give much more dangerous info (like
credit card nos.) to all sorts of other entities.

Just because my screen name is Worrier.Poet doesn't mean I worry about
stuff like this. If I want to lend my (real) name to a petition and give
the entity presenting the petition my real e-mail addy, I do it.

;-)

There was one person participating in the thread who apparently takes
that to mean that I'm careless with the way I give out information
online, and that anyone who signs such a petition is wasting time.

To each his own.