Re: [OT?] Free Software petition on WhiteHouse.gov

On 12/25/2012 08:40 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 12/25/2012 5:12 PM, Worrier Poet wrote:
>> On 12/25/2012 04:06 PM, Go Linux wrote:

Did you think I was trying to give a gov 101 course lecture? It's
obvious that the whitehouse.gov site is interested in seeing what
political capital any of the ideas might hold, and thus what ideas they
might want to shop out for sponsorship. And the president obviously can
get bills  introduced to Congress. It's just done differently and less
directly than the way a rep or sen does it -- for instance, by the
process by which you allude to in your own message. And petitions signed
at this site can have a real political effect.

Sign, don't sign. Big deal. But just about everyone who's used the
Internet for anything has "signed" in some way at even more "dangerous"
sites -- and for less laudable causes. I don't think my point was that
obtuse. People give their credit card data to poorly secured Web
entities to buy Teletubbies, for pity's sake.

You do have to take some risk in order to try to stand for any idea. One
can argue points about where one can do the most effective risk-taking,
but none of us really knows what's going to be done with even the best
ideas and intentions, regardless of how one goes about trying to get
them enacted -- especially when we're talking about government (or any
other big industry).

I've bought stuff at Amazon.com, and I signed the petition at
whitehouse.gov. Just call me a serious risk-taker.