Re: bash script to convert, compress

On Jo, 27 dec 12, 05:47:57, tsitras@linuxmail.org wrote:
> Hi. i am running debian 6.0.6 and i am banging my head to create a simple script that will run periodically (through cron).
>  i do have a whole lot of wav files in opt/wavfiles and i do need:
>  -convert them to mp3
>  -delete the wav files that have been converted to mp3

pacpl might be useful here. Have you considered FLAC? Conversion to mp3
is lossy and if you delete the wav's there will be no way to get the
original quality and if you ever find out you need a different format
(like ogg or aac) the conversion will loose you even more quality.

>  -compress the files and move the compressed file to /opt/mp3backups
>  is there a simple script ready for the job?

If you hope to save space, don't bother, the gains on mp3 will be
minimal. If you just want them bundled tar has already been suggested.

Kind regards,
Andrei