Re: [OT?] Free Software petition on WhiteHouse.gov

On 12/25/2012 04:06 PM, Go Linux wrote:
> [...]
I think I understand these concerns. However, petitions used for getting
bills started and placed before the U.S. House and Senate (or just for
state legislatures or city councils) do have to have authenticated
signature sources. Otherwise, it would be easy enough to fake a petition
with almost any number of signatures.

What's different about this (as compared to how we did it decades ago)
is that the sign-up is done with an on line entity instead of with a
local signature collector that you know, or are presumed to know. That's
the additional risk. And, IIRC, whitehouse.gov has been compromised on
at least one previous occasions. But so have many sites to whom many of
us have given our credit card information.

the worrier