Re: unexpected script output

Wow.  1-4 times a day?
Usually:
1: when I am moving from train to work
2: when I am leaving work to train
3: when I am moving from train to home
4: when I am leaving computer for bed
:)

Why is it necessary to reboot?  I would like to understand this use
case better.

I am using testing/unstable/experimental + external tools, and have some troubles with few actions, which I did not had enough time to try to solve. Some of those problems are related to hibernate, an example is a freeze when I change wifi state will booting from an hibernation, and another one is that sometimes, pm-hibernate just does nothing. For first example, I know how to reproduce, but lacks time to fix it, for the latest, I have no clue about when and why it happens.
Hardware/kernel/driver things are still mysterious for me.
I also have some troubles because of mechanical/electrical problems inside of my computer, which also makes safer for my data to shutdown.

Another reason is that it's "harder" to hibernate than to shutdown:
I have no DE, and I do not really like the idea behind using daemons to do things as simple as controlling the power management.
I do not like too to have a constant root console opened.
And what make things easier is that using the power switch of my computer is actually faster than using "su\n<password>\npm-hibernate\n"

That's things I could fix, by example by understanding how acpi can be configured, but I did not had enough time for that for now. I really would like to understand how to configure acpi, since some of keys on my eeepc are just doing nothing.

There is those problems, but I also have a strong (wrong) habit to use #poweroff instead of #pm-hibernate. Well... another thing is that's actually easier to write poweroff :D This habit is not so bad, since my computer's boot speed is really small. Less than a minute to have it fully working...

I am also thinking to configure my computer to make it "modal" (with runlevels): I do not always have the use for all stuff which is loaded in default situation, and selecting the mode at boot is easier than using a root access to change runlevel when things are running. By example, I have no use for ssh when I am not at home or at work, since I do not have access to more than one computer in those situations. At work and in train, I do not need the wifi, and I am using different networks settings in different buildings (wpa-ssid and keys) and so I could use runlevels to change parameters. Runlevels could be a convenient way to manage that, but they can be changed by root or at boot. Root is not a convenient way, from an ease of use point of view.
(Currently, I am starting things at hand when I need them...)

And that is because they are not old computers. I have a dinosaur
which takes ages, hibernate or not, and seeing how the hardware is
old, I prefer the regular checks made on disk by boot process.
I do not need computer as fast as light, but I'm pleased hen things
does not takes ages while keeping some security checks.

I am still using a Pentium 133MHz machine with 112M ram and a 1G hard
drive.  It has the best power envelope for the task it is doing.  I
reboot it every time a new linux kernel security upgrade is installed.
It is a pretty slow machine and takes a minute or two to reboot.  I
feel the reboot speed every time I reboot it.  But that only happens
every other month or so when Linux upgrades are released.

That's because I kept the use of shutdown instead of hibernate,
except if I have something I want to keep alive from a session to
another.
But, of course, if boot speed is not an issue for you, you are free
to make it slower :)

I will say that turnabout this-for-that applies here.  :-) It is your
choice to shutdown your eee pc completely.  Instead you could suspend
it and have fast resume performance.  It is your choice to use a full
shutdown and have slow performance. :-)

Every user have his own requirement for a computer, especially for
people using a linux distribution I think.

I definitely believe that there is never one size fits all.  I try to
support people doing a variety of things that I would never personally
do.  But that does not mean that simply because someone can do
something that it is a good thing to do it.

I too. But I also know that I have got some wrong uses, and that I should forget them :D

But let's not get too from from the topic point under discussion. The
point I was refuting was this one:

> berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> > The immediate problem to change the symlink to bash instead of dash
> > is that it will slow down his system boot sequence, ...

I strongly believe that it is not an "immediate problem". Classifying
it as a problem is much too strong.  That is where I objected.  Yes
there is a measurable difference in boot speed.  But it isn't more
than a few seconds.  (I would love it if someone would remind us of
the boot timings with a reference to benchmark data.)

But I disagree that changing a symlink from dash to bash causes an
"immediate problem".  Nor even a minor problem.  It is the way Debian
systems were released and shipped for years and years.  The change is
an improvement.  But the reversion of that change is not a bug.

The biggest improvement in my mind is not even the performance
difference.  It is the portability gained.  By writing scripts
suitable for POSIX /bin/sh those scripts are much more likely to run
unchanged on every system and not just the one it is written on.
Having worked on many systems over many years I value clean
portability more than performance.

Bob

You are true, little slow down are not a problem, and even less nowadays when people sounds like to love to use bloatwares and big DE. I should have said immediate consequence, because I was really meaning the first difference noticeable.

And about the portability problem, I did not thought about it immediately, but IIRC I mentioned the fact that there could be scripts not working perfectly in a first time, did not I?