Re: unexpected script output

berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> Bob Proulx a écrit:
> >berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> > > The immediate problem to change the symlink to bash instead of dash
> > > is that it will slow down his system boot sequence, ...
> >
> > I sometimes hear this but I disagree that boot speed causes this to
> > be an immediate problem.  Even on laptops the system is very
> > stable.  How often do people reboot?  I do so only very seldom.
> > Definitely for kernel security upgrades and so do reboot a handful
> > of times a year.  My view is, "So it might take another few seconds
> > ever other month."
>
> That's your use.
> My uses are plenty of shutdown. For my eeepc, it is possible that I
> shut it down from 1 to 4 times per day, and for my desktop, it
> entirely depends on what I am doing.

Wow.  1-4 times a day?  This really surprises me.  Especially for an
EEE PC netbook.  Those generally suspend to ram and resume from ram
very fast.  And they live suspended for days and days.  Even a
hibernate to disk and resume from disk is quite fast.

Why is it necessary to reboot?  I would like to understand this use
case better.

> And that is because they are not old computers. I have a dinosaur
> which takes ages, hibernate or not, and seeing how the hardware is
> old, I prefer the regular checks made on disk by boot process.
> I do not need computer as fast as light, but I'm pleased hen things
> does not takes ages while keeping some security checks.

I am still using a Pentium 133MHz machine with 112M ram and a 1G hard
drive.  It has the best power envelope for the task it is doing.  I
reboot it every time a new linux kernel security upgrade is installed.
It is a pretty slow machine and takes a minute or two to reboot.  I
feel the reboot speed every time I reboot it.  But that only happens
every other month or so when Linux upgrades are released.

> That's because I kept the use of shutdown instead of hibernate,
> except if I have something I want to keep alive from a session to
> another.
> But, of course, if boot speed is not an issue for you, you are free
> to make it slower :)

I will say that turnabout this-for-that applies here.  :-) It is your
choice to shutdown your eee pc completely.  Instead you could suspend
it and have fast resume performance.  It is your choice to use a full
shutdown and have slow performance. :-)

> Every user have his own requirement for a computer, especially for
> people using a linux distribution I think.

I definitely believe that there is never one size fits all.  I try to
support people doing a variety of things that I would never personally
do.  But that does not mean that simply because someone can do
something that it is a good thing to do it.

But let's not get too from from the topic point under discussion.  The
point I was refuting was this one:

> > berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> > > The immediate problem to change the symlink to bash instead of dash
> > > is that it will slow down his system boot sequence, ...

I strongly believe that it is not an "immediate problem".  Classifying
it as a problem is much too strong.  That is where I objected.  Yes
there is a measurable difference in boot speed.  But it isn't more
than a few seconds.  (I would love it if someone would remind us of
the boot timings with a reference to benchmark data.)

But I disagree that changing a symlink from dash to bash causes an
"immediate problem".  Nor even a minor problem.  It is the way Debian
systems were released and shipped for years and years.  The change is
an improvement.  But the reversion of that change is not a bug.

The biggest improvement in my mind is not even the performance
difference.  It is the portability gained.  By writing scripts
suitable for POSIX /bin/sh those scripts are much more likely to run
unchanged on every system and not just the one it is written on.
Having worked on many systems over many years I value clean
portability more than performance.

Bob