OT: Re: xserver-xorg vs. xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 20:28 +0000, lee wrote:
> Remember your huge 14 or
> 15" CRT monitor flickering and possibly being damaged when you got the
> frequencies too high

I still need to read some older replies, but I can't resist to answer OT
now.

I'm a dino and trillions years ago it was possible to set up X by trial
and error. One step after the other I never damaged hardware. If
frequencies get to high, I saw "lines" and heard noise, from hardware
that shouldn't make noise.

Today X don't allow you to go the trial and error way and X calculators
only provide international common monitors.