Re: Looking for an alternative to mysql

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 11:48:46PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> I guess you did not read my OP.  I run Stable, Wheezy and Sid.  Mysql
> has a problem with the mysql-server-5.1 package on all 3.
>
> Have a nice day/night.

I have had _zero_ problems with MySQL. It powers the several Wordpress
blogs I am hosting, a photo gallery, an internal RSS feed aggregator, and a
ton of other things. Sure, it has bugs, but it runs smoothly, without
problems. I've been running it on the past three stable releases, all
without issue.

I also run MySQL on a Sid machine for development. I have a Django web app
that I am working on that uses MySQL as the backend, and everything hums
along fine.

The only time I ever had a problem with MySQL was when I worked as a data
mining engineer for a large political research company. It was my job to
take tables of millions of rows, and hundreds of thousands of columns, sift
through the data, and pull out voting records based on certain criteria. We
had a custom built-in app for doing the work, but it was slow as molasses
on a cold day, and buggy as hell. So, I decided to try a solid DB server.
MySQL was my first choice, and not only would it break under the weight of
the tables, it would bring the OS down too. PostgreSQL handled everything
just fine, was snappy as hell, and never gave me any problems.

To each their own, but I've put MySQL through the refiners fire, and other
than running SQL statements on enormously massive tables, it's been
exceptionally reliable for me. Sounds to me like you have other issues than
just MySQL.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o