Re: Networking -- use of two Internet connections for one server with round robin DNS -- web okay, but should I do mail this way too?

Hi,

Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 08:33:23 +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

(...)

What I am thinking of doing is making the two MX records both at the
same level number, 10, and having that do round robin as well (again,
just the one mail server, accessible via both connections).  Does anyone
see any issues with this idea?  Both public IPs in use will have rDNS
setup.  My theory is that half the email will come in via one connection
and half via the other one.  Outgoing email will just use one of the
connections.

Any ideas / comments / other things to consider?

Here you have some approaches for round robin and balacing MX records:

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch9/rr.html

Thanks, that was along the lines I was thinking. Although I am looking at the same ONE server being accessible via multiple public routes. Not having 2 or 3 different servers managing the load via some form of co-operation.

Now a DNS related question.

Can rDNS lookups for different IPs return the same result such as "mail.example.com" or must each IP have it's own unique PTR record name?

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan