Re: Looking for an alternative to mysql

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:
On 07/08/2011 03:42 PM, D G Teed wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, without a shadow of doubt.

>>> Yes, though I haven't used them myself, PostgreSQL serving my
>>> needs quite nicely.  There are quite a number of alternatives;
>>> google can help here.
>>>
>> Thanks for the reply Roger.
>>
>> I tried installing postgres-8.4 on Sid but it too has a problem :-(
>>
>> grave bugs of postgresql-8.4 (-> ) <marked as done in some version>
>>  #632028 - postgresql 8.4.8 regression - failure to handle char(4) =
>> bpchar (Fixed: postgresql-8.4/8.4.8-0squeeze2)
>> serious bugs of postgresql-8.4 (-> ) <unfixed>
>>  #630569 - php5-pgsql and postgresql >= 8.4 seem to collude never to
>> close idle persistent connections
>>
>> I can't win for losing.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> I don't understand. Is your requirement to install a DB
> package with zero bugs?  It doesn't exist anywhere.

I am not in the habit of installing packages that known to not work.

Thanks for your enlightening comment.  I look forward to your request
for help in the future.

Sorry, but your question seemed naive and still seems so.  I was actually
hoping to hear my understanding of your concern was wrong.

There are thousands of web sites, big and small, using mysql and postgresql.

They all have bugs, just as any Linux or another other OS we choose has
bugs, some big, some small.

Oracle has bugs as well - some as serious as found in any major open source
database project.

This inability to install a database is not a real inability, but rather
an irrational choice.  If mysql was seriously flawed, then it should surely fall
apart under the weight of its use to power facebook.

If the facebook example seems like a one hit wonder, take a look at the other
"customers" of mysql:

http://www.mysql.com/customers/

If stability is your concern, don't run with Sid.  It is for development work and
testing changes.  People might run Sid on the desktop for getting slightly
later and greater packages, but Sid is not for production use.