Re: alternative to kaffeine?

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 18:02:17 +0200, lee wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 13:44:58 +0200, lee wrote:
>>
>>> is there a good alternative to kaffeine?
>>
>> Have you looked at VideoLAN? I'm not sure wether it can play/record
>> from TV cards (DVB-T) but if that options is available it is a good
>> multimedia program.
>
> You mean http://www.videolan.org/ ?  They don't seem to be into TV cards
> or recording at all.

No? Then I may have dreamed it O:-)

>> Mplayer can also work with DVB streams, I guess. And KPlayer could be
>> another option.
>
> Hm, yes, I forgot about mplayer.  Quite a while ago, I tried to get it
> to work with the TV card and gave up because it was impossible to get a
> working channels.conf.  The format of this file mplayer expects isn't
> even documented anywhere.

Dunno, but there should be pre-made files for your country/region
elsewhere in Internet :-?

> Other than that, it would basically work ---
> and miss something to display the EPG and schedule recordings from it.
> Or can mplayer do that, too?

I don't know, I know mplayer is one of the most powerful media players
out there (used as the default backend for many other players), other
than that I can't tell :-)

>>> Other than that, does anyone have an idea how to fix kaffeine?
>>
>> I would first start by launching kaffeine from another user to discard
>> a configuration problem.
>
> It probably is one; I just don't know what to look at/for.  I didn't
> change the configuration of kaffeine or kaffeine itself in any way, so
> there's no reason for it to be suddenly broken.

Try it, creating a new user won't hurt, you can delete it afterwards. If
the new user has no problems with kaffeine, then you can start by
renaming (rename, never remove) kaffeine's user profile...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón