Re: alternative to kaffeine?

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 18:02:17 +0200, lee wrote:
>>
>> Hm, yes, I forgot about mplayer.  Quite a while ago, I tried to get it
>> to work with the TV card and gave up because it was impossible to get a
>> working channels.conf.  The format of this file mplayer expects isn't
>> even documented anywhere.
>
> Dunno, but there should be pre-made files for your country/region
> elsewhere in Internet :-?

None I could find ...  At least I've now managed to create one that
works.

>> Other than that, it would basically work ---
>> and miss something to display the EPG and schedule recordings from it.
>> Or can mplayer do that, too?
>
> I don't know, I know mplayer is one of the most powerful media players
> out there (used as the default backend for many other players), other
> than that I can't tell :-)

Yeah, and it's hard to figure out how to do what you want with it.  I
always used it for watching because it supports vdpau and had kaffeine
for recording only.

>>> I would first start by launching kaffeine from another user to discard
>>> a configuration problem.
>>
>> It probably is one; I just don't know what to look at/for.  I didn't
>> change the configuration of kaffeine or kaffeine itself in any way, so
>> there's no reason for it to be suddenly broken.
>
> Try it, creating a new user won't hurt, you can delete it afterwards. If
> the new user has no problems with kaffeine, then you can start by
> renaming (rename, never remove) kaffeine's user profile...

Hm, renaming ~/.kde out of the way helped.  It might be fun to write
some GUI using mplayer for watching TV and maybe recording with libsx.

--
html messages are obsolete