Re: dhcp sysv-rc upgrade bug?

Hi,

Can someone tell if this is a bug that should be filed or is it just
something to be noted in the squeeze upgrade notes?

(...)

As you finally got it solved by reinstalling the package, it could have
been a problem with your specific setup :-?

Maybe, because this system started as Etch, then I did an install of the dhcp3 server because I needed a new function before the dhcp3-server became standard.

However, after then rebooting the system the isc-dhcp-server did not
want to start because:
Jul 6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd: Can't open lease database /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases: No such file or directory --
Jul  6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd:   check for failed database rewrite attempt!
Jul  6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd: Please read the dhcpd.leases manual page if you
Jul  6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd: don't know what to do about this.

Maybe something went wrong with the rights on that directory after
purging the old dhcp package, the /var/lib/dhcp directory DID exist and
even had a old dhcpclient.leases file in it. The fastest way to resolve
this for me was simply copy the current dhcpd.conf file to a save place
and then: # aptitude remove isc-dhcp-server
and
# aptitude install isc-dhcp-server
After that everything was back and once I copied the proper dhcpd.conf
file in place and did a restart my dhcp server was up and running.

(...)

Are you sure you had that file under "/var/lib/dhcp/*"?

stt005:~# locate *.leases
/var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth1.leases
/var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.leases

Yes, as that directory had been created during the setup when it was still an Etch system. Which is why think it was a problem with the directory permissions.
linrtm:/var/lib# ll dhcp
total 168K
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   0 Jun 28 13:02 dhclient.leases
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 79K Jul  6 18:26 dhcpd.leases
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 80K Jul  6 18:18 dhcpd.leases~

I ask because in lenny it is located under "/var/lib/dhcp3/*" (note the
"3"). There was a change for DHCP (both client and server) package
between lenny and squeeze and some paths were changed in the transition.

Yes, there were changed back to what they were during Etch. The new files are indeed once again in /var/lib/dhcp/

Bonno