Re: dhcp sysv-rc upgrade bug?

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 11:54:04 +0200, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

> Can someone tell if this is a bug that should be filed or is it just
> something to be noted in the squeeze upgrade notes?

(...)

As you finally got it solved by reinstalling the package, it could have
been a problem with your specific setup :-?

> However, after then rebooting the system the isc-dhcp-server did not
> want to start because:
> Jul  6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd: Can't open lease database /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases: No such file or directory --
> Jul  6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd:   check for failed database rewrite attempt!
> Jul  6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd: Please read the dhcpd.leases manual page if you
> Jul  6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd: don't know what to do about this.
>
> Maybe something went wrong with the rights on that directory after
> purging the old dhcp package, the /var/lib/dhcp directory DID exist and
> even had a old dhcpclient.leases file in it. The fastest way to resolve
> this for me was simply copy the current dhcpd.conf file to a save place
> and then: # aptitude remove isc-dhcp-server
> and
> # aptitude install isc-dhcp-server
> After that everything was back and once I copied the proper dhcpd.conf
> file in place and did a restart my dhcp server was up and running.

(...)

Are you sure you had that file under "/var/lib/dhcp/*"?

stt005:~# locate *.leases
/var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth1.leases
/var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.leases

I ask because in lenny it is located under "/var/lib/dhcp3/*" (note the
"3"). There was a change for DHCP (both client and server) package
between lenny and squeeze and some paths were changed in the transition.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón