dhcp sysv-rc upgrade bug?

Hi,

Can someone tell if this is a bug that should be filed or is it just something to be noted in the squeeze upgrade notes?

I also ran into other problems upgrading with dhcp when upgrading my Lenny system to Squeeze but after that was solved I had a little problem with the sysv-rc upgrade. It seems I had some old packages including dhcp (probably form my Etch time) which was removed but not purged and which created a problem during upgrading. After purging those offending packages, including dhcp, the sysv-rc upgrade was no problem.

However, after then rebooting the system the isc-dhcp-server did not want to start because:
Jul 6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd: Can't open lease database /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases: No such file or directory --
Jul  6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd:   check for failed database rewrite attempt!
Jul  6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd: Please read the dhcpd.leases manual page if you
Jul  6 11:31:59 linrtm dhcpd: don't know what to do about this.

Maybe something went wrong with the rights on that directory after purging the old dhcp package, the /var/lib/dhcp directory DID exist and even had a old dhcpclient.leases file in it. The fastest way to resolve this for me was simply copy the current dhcpd.conf file to a save place and then:
# aptitude remove isc-dhcp-server
and
# aptitude install isc-dhcp-server
After that everything was back and once I copied the proper dhcpd.conf file in place and did a restart my dhcp server was up and running.

This should probably be covered somewhere in the upgrade instructions, maybe a special dhcp section as there were also other upgrade changes like the location of the dhcpd.conf file that were unexpected and undocumented.

If it is a bug in the purge process that needs to be reported... can someone tell me how to file that as the dhcp package is an old (Etch?) package and is no longer being maintained as far as I know.

Bonno Bloksma