Re: KVM networking

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:02:29 +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:

>> > How I can run KVM w/ network support under normal user?
>>
>> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking
>
> This page is very good, but the instructions under "public bridge" are
> not applicable to Debian.

This is really an excellent post. I have questions on KVM networking for
quite a while. Relating to this, my questions are:

I want all users in the kvm group can start kvm and have network access.
Does this require different setting than your previous answer?

> I have a public bridge setup on Debian for KVM VMs. I have network
> access via Ethernet, using interface 'eth0'. I have the following
> /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> <begin>
> iface eth0 inet manual
>
> auto br0
> iface br0 inet dhcp
>    pre-up /usr/sbin/tunctl -u jon -t tap0 pre-up ifconfig tap0 up
>    bridge_ports all tap0
>    post-down ifconfig tap0 down
>    post-down tunctl -d tap0
> <end>

If I config my box with static address before, say:

 auto eth0
 iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.100
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.1

what should my '/etc/network/interfaces' file be now? (please give full
file, not just some segments)

Having restarted networking, do I now need to use br0 instead of eth0 for
all primary network interface? E.g., instead of,

 xnetload -if eth0

I now need to say

 xnetload -if br0

? That seems quite a big change to me. Will all exiting networking tools
know not to use eth0 as the primary network interface any more
automatically?

> . . .
> In this case, I run my VM as the user 'jon'. This is reflected in the
> '-u jon' argument to tunctl.

In this case, can other people in the kvm group use br0 as well?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/